After making 60-80 negatives on a 1430 out of the blue cane the pinwheel marks. So fine and infrequent I did not spot them until the print I’d made (a fine print at that) had dried down. Hating the idea of taking needle nose pliers to the printer, while completely sympathetic to the idea of fixing something with a bigger hammer, I started a closer examination of the assembly holding the pinwheels. It seemed as if Epson had made a special effort to make sure the user could not defeat this transparency destroying apparatus.
In an effort to get a closer look at some screw I though might release the entire assembly (after failing several other attempts at a fix) I opened the CD print panel and my eyes popped out a bit as I watched the the print head and the pinwheels raise up. Like a dog trying to escape the backyard I opened and closed the CD panel to see if I could keep the pinwheels up while getting the print head to go down.
The Foxfire (Appalachian - Scottish ancestry engineering) fix which seems to work is pictured below.
I found a piece of plastic channel, actually the edge of a plastic box top in my recycling, and, with the CD panel open, placed it over the stamped metal tab that holds the pinwheel assembly in place for “normal” printing. These tabs are found at the left side of the print cavity. Using about a 1/2" length piece of plastic channel fits and stays out of the way of the printhead as it travels the full length of the carriage.
Please add improvements here so we can all benefit.