Windows and i1Profiler

Walker,

I am a frustrated Windows user. I have been reading the Piezography Manual 2016 Deluxe Edition to find out how to create curves for my alt processes. In section 11E, Lineraize The .Quad I find the fallowing:

Take the washed and dried print from STEP 2 and read in the film densities with
your spectro of choice! Note: It’s important that you actually know how to use your
spectro and the software that comes with it. This manual does not tell you how to
read in the measurements. In the /Piezography/Images/PiezoDN-Targets/ folder you
will find targets and attendant workflows or descriptor files that each software
requires to correctly read in the data. You must look at the documentation that
comes with your profiling system to learn how to use these targets!

The documentation that comes with i1 Profile does not tell me how to do this. The documentation is very poor. In the first sentence you say “Take the washed and dried print from STEP 2 and read in the film densities with your spectro of choice.”

Am I supposed to read the print or the film negative used to make the print, this is confusing.

All of my rambling boils down to I cannot figure out how to read my 129 step print to get the data needed to create a .txt file.

Is there a dedicated manual for Windows users in the works and possibly a video?

Jim

Hey Jim.

Read the “Linearizing Piezography” section for screenshots on how to use i1Profiler/ColorPort/ColorMunki etc.

cheers,
Walker

Walker,

I have read through Section 9 and in each part I read I find it telling me to use the Piezography Error Corrector Link that was sent to me when I purchased the Pieozography Professinal Edition. I purchased the PiezoDN Windows Beta. If I am to follow the directions given in the text I must have this file. Do I have to make another purchase just to get this software?

Do you have any other documentation that can explain to me how to make .QUAD linearized files using the X-Rite i1 Photo Pro 2?

Jim

You can simply switch back to the PiezoDN instructions at this point. Essentially the Piezography Error Correct (part of PPE which is sold separately) is the same as the PiezoDN “CGATS SMOOTHER” for correcting digital negative target data. The instructions in the “Linearizing Piezography” section are there to get you able to export data. At that point the procedure forks and is different for Print vs Negative profiling. So go back to PiezoDN instructions and continue following those instructions now that you have saved a .txt file with your measurement data from the print.

Related to your last questions: yes, the “Linearizing Piezography” has a whole set of instructions of using i1Profiler (part of i1 Photo Pro 2 package) to read the target and save a .txt file at which point you go back to the PiezoDN instructions and follow those to linearize the .quad

best,

Walker

I use i1Profiler and i1 Pro 2. Heres how i do it.

For user mode, choose advanced. On the left side pick “Measure Chart”. On Patch Layout, make it 10 rows per page, 13 columns per page. Click Next on the bottom right. Choose Spot Measurement mode. Click the Calibrate button to calibrate your spectrophotometer. Starting at 1A, scan(using the button on the side of the spectrophotometer left to right, top to bottom, filling the chart on the i1Profiler screen. Once its all filled, click the Save button the the left. unselect the spectra data(i can’t remember, you only want the LAB values). Save as a text file. Open the text file. Select all and copy.

Open a blank excel spread sheet. Paste your data into the spreadsheet. Since you have to pick a rectangle chart back on your iprofiler, you have to delete the square that is 130. (the calibration only has 129 steps). Delete row 130. Now copy the columns for LAB_L, LAB_A, and LAB_B. Paste those into your smoother excel spreadsheet. Now comes manual work. its required that your LAB_L values go from high to low. so you go row by row, checking that the LAB_L values decrease. If they dont, fudge the number by .1 or whatever is required to make it so all the values go down. Once thats all done, then you go to the to the second page and select all those numbers.

From there you can follow the instructions in the manual. Make sure that all the permissions on the files and directories are set so that you can actually save there(if you can’t save in the directory, the tool fails).

Also make sure you have enabled Macros on your excel.