Why can't the 1430 print Glossy?

Recently jumped into the system. Ultra HD Matte Black prints beautifully on Red River Matte Paper.

Though… Glossy can’t be done on my printer… Is it because of the lack of a gloss optimizer? Throwing caution to the wind I risked destroying the universe and printed on glossy anyway. Just to see what would happen.

The print was beautiful. Every shade but Ultra HD Matte Black was glossy and perfect. Matte was, you guessed it, matte. An odd looking patch. I feel like if I were to treat the print surface after printing or modify the curve to leave out Matte shade 1 ink altogether (the next shade up was dark enough for my taste) I think it would work nice.

Has anyone else tried something similar?

-John

Well, it can print glossy—just with some bronzing on the current inks—and this has been a long-time goal of mine. Our next neutral and carbon ink sets will be gloss on this printer. We are actually planning on K4 (MK + PK + Sh2,Sh3,Sh4 + Gloss Chroma Optimizer). The nozzle size on this printer is so small that a K4 print works really well.

-Walker

1 Like

Interesting, certainly would be interested in trying that!

Thanks,
-John

What if you print K6 gloss and do a GO over print on another printer?

The 1430 came with 6 channels and at the time there was no real will to R&D a solution. Now the 1430 is deprecated and no longer sold.

The K5+GCO pro curves should work to be adapted to the 1430 (remap with the correct channels in PPEv2 + lower the ink amount by 20% or so). You’ll just physically mix the ink (warm/cool) together to make a K5 ink of your choice, then load, print target, and linearize. This will work as a single pass gloss. 19%warm and 81%cool should give you a decent neutral.

best,
Walker