The Science of Piezography - Digging into scientifics prints

Hi,

I have some scientifics works that goes beyond what we usually need in classical photography prints. I mean each print will be analyzed on an optical measurement system measuring resolution, contrast, noise level, etc…

Here is what I am looking for :

• The best details possible (usage : resolution measurement).
  • The smoother print possible (usage : noise measurement).

To push this to a scientific level (measured with macro camera) I would like to get more informations about some of theses points :

• Ink limiting seems to decrease graininess (less noise), resulting in a smoother print but what are the drawbacks of too much limiting ? Less dmax maybe ?
  • Is there any link between ink limiting and print resolution ? (Actually printing in uni-directionnal, 2 880 DPI, 720DPI file (vectoriel, is there a better file to prepare ?).
  • Does changing the dithering method can give better (or worse) results about resolution and smoothness ?

I’m conscious that all this stuff is very geeky, I’m looking to go at the deepest level we can to achieve the best result possible with the system. I know that all of this do not matter for photography but at the scientific level, 5% better is 5% better.

Any help would be greatly appreciate for digging into this.
Thanks a lot !

Best regards,

Frankie

Frankie, you need Ergosoft rip that does intelligent dot placement in multi-channel mode. QuadtoneRIP dithers each channel but is not aware of the others so dots get doubled up randomly. Ergosoft does not do that. It places dots of 1 channel between dots of another channel. You also need to mix your own inks to create dead-neutral K7. So pro warm, pro cool, and Epson VLM tint mix. You also need the Epson P900 printer which has a 2 picoliter drop. It works with Piezography in the EU.

Print on a matte surface baryta paper . . . I think Canson sells this type of thing now. It used to be Harmon Matte Baryta . . . similar to the old Ilford Matte silver paper . . .

Get all this and you can do proper scientific printing.

regards
-Walker

1 Like

Hi Walker,

Thanks for your answer on all this but I can’t change all my print system right now for this kind of works (I should have been more specific about this) (also I need to print 44") so I’m trying to do “the best” with what I already have (9900 with dual K5 Piezo Pro + QTR/Print Tool).

Can you help me about these questions to use what I already have to the fullest ?

Best,
Frankie

Hi,
Any help about my questions ?

Best,
Frankie

You have my opinions on the matter Frankie . . .

regards
-Walker

Changing all the hardware and the software I’m actually using yes, sure it will be better but unfortunately I can’t (at least for now) and I’m sure you can understand it.
That’s why I was asking questions to improve what I can do with the hardware and software I already have because I know you have a lot more experiences and knowledge than me about theses geeky questions.

Best,
Frankie