Suggestions for prepping linearizing chrysotype?

Hi All!

I’m prepping targets to linearize chrysotype, but as some of you may know, the chrysotype can create dramatic color splits between burgundy red in the shadows and blue in the highlights.

Will the linearizing process be able to handle the color shifts? Does the X-Rite i1pro2 need any extra steps to deal with the shifts… is there anything I need to know up front before I attempt this linearization?

Thanks!

-Jesse-

It can handle the shifts as it all works in L* value (monochromatic luminance value).

It’s ok!

best,
Walker

1 Like

I completed my linearization for palladium, and moving onto chrysotype, the i1Pro doesn’t like it, says “Error: Reference colours do not match measured values. Make sure you are scanning row 1 and try again”; I tried a number of times… slower, faster, more lead up, etc… no dice. lol, two steps forward, one step back…

I’ll figure it out…

oops! It’s a bug.

Import this workflow and it will work to measure your printed target:

https://forums.piezography.com/uploads/short-url/7HxuktjP4ULGcQowmA03S6EDyfp.zip

best,
Walker

Thanks!!! I’m relieved it wasn’t just me :slight_smile: One thing, I was using the 256-step target for the i1Pro2… can you confirm which target is the one you sent me? Do you have a fixed workspace for the 256-step for i1Pro2, or do I re-print the chrysotype with a new, specific target?

Ahh, ok, the target you are using will not work because you have too much contrast. The i1 is not able to differentiate between the rows. Use the 21x16 i1profiler target and the workflow I linked to above.

It may be useful before printing that target to manually tune your current master curve something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 2.11.49 PM

Use the 5 data points input/output values and add them to the curve section of the PPEv2 software (with no measurements in the measurements sheet and with the master curve in the starting curve sheet). Then the new curve sheet will have the tuned master curve that will print with less contrast so the first actual linearization will have less work to do.

-Walker

thank you @walker, will do. The zip had only the workspace, not the tiff target. Can you send the target?

Just print it flipped in the driver settings.

-Walker

ah! I was looking in PiezoDN. Curve adjusted, negative printed; I’ll update once I do the chrysotype print.

Thank you!

-Jesse-

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing this.

1 Like