Starting a new paper profile; which curves to start with?

I’m embarking on developing a new set of curves for some Red River paper that I’ve used for the past 8 years or so for calendars I send to my family. For this reason, I am not using the best papers available, and the RR papers seem to fit the bill nicely.

Anyway, since you don’t have curves for the paper, I expect that I should start with a similar paper from Moab or one of the other companies. The paper I want to profile is Red River Premium Matte Plus, 60#.

My look around seems to indicate that Moab Lasal Matte may be similar, but I’m not sure if there is a better one to start with. Looking for advice before I go into the cycle too far.

I’m printing with an Epson P800 and the Pro inkset, so I’ll be developing a warm, neutral, and cool curve for the printer.

I’m using a i1Pro V1 and I will use the i1 software.

My first print of the linearization targets (51 step) seems to be OK, but the darkest few boxes may have merged. I’ll see once it has fully dried, but if they have, my thought is that there may be a better curve to choose from because the Moab curves may already have considerable black boost or similar built into them that ultimately is blocking up the shadows a bit too much for this paper.

Is there a better curve to start with? I don’t see any “Master” curves as you have with other inksets.

Thanks,

—Michael

I would just start with the 129 step target with pro ink. Make sure you print the target with No Color Management selected in Print-Tool on the Mac. (PC QTR is already no-color-management).

best,

Walker

Walker,

OK, but does it make sense to use the Lasal Matte curve or is there one that has less linearization adjustment built into it (such that it may produce a more linear result).

Lasal Matte is a very good starting point IMO.

best,

Walker

Walker,

Looks good. I started with the 51-step since I had that printed. The curve adjustments were subtle for the most part, so the Lasal Matte curve works well for the RR Premium Matte Plus.

One question; have you ever done a detailed look at the 2880 vs. the 2880Super resolution settings in the printers? The P800 has it, and I think the older 3800 and 3880 did as well. Not sure about other printers.

I’m curious is there is a difference in the curve response between these two settings (so you can proof with the faster printing method). I’ve not done testing like that on this printer, and am curious if it is worth testing.

Thanks,

—Michael

The reason for the super resolution is actually because of me and my nit-picking. I spent about a full year convincing Roy that he needed to increase the weave on the SureColors and he finally did.

If you see it use it.

best,

Walker