Settings for UP OHP with Epson SC P7000

Hi all,
Are there any thoughts about Custom paper settings on the P7000 for Pictorico UP OHP? The answers may be the same as those suggested in a similar thread for the Epson 9900 (Recommended Paper settings for Pictorico on Epson 9900) … but in case not, I’d love any info that will help me do a quick setup.
Thanks!
Pradip

Set the custom paper settings to Epson Glossy 170, Narrow Platen gap. Then do a manual UniD head alignment calibration on the film itself with a loup. It’s best to do that on large sheets or 17" roll.

best
-Walker

1 Like

Hi Pradip.
To what Walker mentionned i would add: perform the paper feed adjustment test where the printer prints a set of squares and you need to choose the one that looks more solid (filled with equally spaced lines) AND DO IT SEVERAL TIMES UNTIL YOU SEE THE 7 VALUE IS THE ONE you choose for all lines. Paper feed adjustment is quite important to nail if you want to avoid micro banding. You might need to perform two custom paper settings… one for roll and another for sheet. I guess the tension involved affects the paper feed adjustment. So if you see problems, think about performing the test for PFA both for sheet and roll, separately.

For most people and for most images full of texture, the micro banding and normal banding might not show regularly… but when you try to print images with big areas of solid and homogenous medium tonality, you realize the limits of inkjet negatives…and minute changes can affect the outcome.

The P7000 is a great machine!

Regards,

Rafael

1 Like

HI Rafael and Walker,
thanks for your suggestions. I have done all of the above. Printer is very fine-tuned now.
I have (for anyone else using a similar setup) the following configuration/adjustments:
Created a custom paper setup for Pictorico UP OHP Sheet:
Reference paper: Premium Glossy 170
Platen gap: narrow
paper thickness: 1
paper feed adjust: -0.16 (this will vary depending on your particular printer and you should run the “Pattern” routine to get the measurements. You must use UP OHP that is at least 19" wide – I loaded 13x19 inch sheet sideways)
Suction: -1 (I was getting severe roller marks and scratches on the back of the film with normal suction. Reducing to the minimum has helped a lot, but still not full absent. Any thoughts anyone?)

Finally, I ran a manual UniD head alignment. Here too, you will need a 13 x 19 or larger sheet of paper, loaded vertically.

Thanks,
Pradip

Maybe I’ve just been lucky and have not seen the marks appear in the actual prints on various 9900s and P9000s . . .

But backing the film onto a thicker medium and changing the appropriate media type settings may be a way to go . . .

-W

Interesting about not seeing marks on the P9000. Rafael, have you had any marks show up on your P7000?

There is always something eh?

a small update:
I hav reduced the suction to -0. This helps with the scratch marks on the back of the film. It seems that heavy suction around the printer head passage is causing this. -0 does not entirely remove it, but it is almost negligible now.

Hello Pradip. Yes, there is always something, you said it right!
Yes, me too I have a few scratches sometimes, but not visible on the prints. Reducing the suction helps, yes. Interesting to know that you have good results with 0 value…
Cheers,
Rafael

Hi all.

Saw the thread Paper Feed Adjustment to the max but still some dark bands - #9 by dtrout

I am getting these dark bands on some extremely homogenous areas of my negs. Can barely see this in the neg but shows up subtly on the pt print. Not good. So, I think I need to do those 1-meter printouts that Walke and Rafael talked about in the linked thread. But a) do not have parallels/Windows and cannot run the Maintenance software b) do not know how to do this from the printer control panel — how do I enter maintenance mode? Can’t seem to find this info anywhere.

Could someone walk(er) me through the steps please?

Hi …
Some steps towards change but no progress:
I have installed Parallels and am running EpsonServiceProgram v 1.0.1. I have connected my P7000 via USB to my Mac OS 12.6.1 desktop. Getting the Service PRogram to recognize the printer has been very quirky and glitchy, but I have figured out that part. The problem is in trying to the Service Program to run the Skew Check and Band Feed routine. It displays “Printing” then crashes every time. I have tried all the usual stuff, including disconnecting every cable, no other software running, reboots, etc. Other modes, such as Nozzle Check, work just fine.
I am trying to get rid of the banding in very homogenous areas, as noted and solved in this thread:

From these notes, I seem to understand that the adjustment can only be done via the Epson Service Program’s Skew Check and Band Feed.

Any thoughts what is going on with the crashes?
Thanks!