Question about the XRite iBasic Pro 2

I am considering upgrading from a SpyderPrint spectro to an XRite iBasic Pro 2. I will be making spot measurements using the clear plastic spot measurement guide that comes with the kit. Does anyone know the diameter of the circular opening in the base of the measurment guide? I need to be able to position the circular opening accurately over a 7mm x40mm patch, so I’m hoping the opening is no larger than 7mm.

Yeah, that’ll be fine. Bigger patches are better, but I think the opening on the i1pro2 is like 4mm or so

Since I’m somewhat familiar with John’s project, here are some further details for anyone interested:

On my i1Pro (original version), the diameter of the opening on the spot guide is 9.01mm, and the diameter of the aperture on the device itself is 4.59mm as measured with calipers.

From X-rite for the i1 Pro 2:

• Illumination Spot Size: 3.5 mm (0.14”)
  • Measurement aperture: 4.5 mm (0.18”)
  • No spot guide opening size is specified

I think with careful positioning this device will work for John’s application. However, I wonder about whether the Basic version of the software will be sufficient rather than the Photo version.

From the X-rite descriptions:

• Basic: Top-of-the-line i1Profiler color management software offers the ultimate in flexibility and control. Basic mode offers a wizard driven interface with predefined options for the quickest path to professional on-screen color. Advanced mode offers user-defined options for more sophisticated profiling workflows to deliver the highest quality color results on monitors and projectors, as well as display testing and quality assurance tools.
  • Photo: The included i1Profiler software features basic and advanced modes for professionally calibrated and profiled monitors (including presets for video production workflows), projectors, scanners and RGB printers. It also includes display and printer quality assurance functions.

I’ve never quite wrapped my head around the various versions and licensing requirements of the i1Profiler software, but I think my unit (which I bought used 5-6 years ago) uses the Photo version. It’s kind of moot at this point as it’s no longer supported with current Mac operating systems. Maybe it still works on Windows.

Hi Keith
No one seems to know the size of the opening in the spot measurement guide. Not even XRite could tell me. Your dimension of 9.01mm is helpful. because it looks about right and they probably haven’t changed the size. I agree that by careful positioning, I will be able to get accurate measurements. I am measuring the cells of a print made with a TP4x5-31, which are 7mm x 40mm.

Walker Blackwell recommends the “i1Pro v2 Basic edition” for PiezoDN, which I believe is the same spectro as the one that says “i1Basic Pro 2” on the box and has the model number EO2BAS. According to Walker you can use the i1Profiler software for spot measurements without a license. If you need the full functionality, you can get it using ArgyllCMS, but I’m only interested in spot measurements, at least for now.