QTR-Linearize-Quad problem


#1

I have remapped existing curves, linearized several with the google apps, some twice… but one crv creates havoc for the QTR-Linearize-Quad droplet. It is your x900 Photo Rag cool. Due to a dead position, it has been remapped a bit, but it is still K5, the warm side now K4. This remapping has worked all the way through iterative linearizations on 2 other papers without problems.

The 1st 51 step chart made using this remapped version looks relatively ok by eye, all proceeds from light to dark. The measurement result shows parts too dark, but still going light to dark without reversals… After using the resulting CGATS txt to achieve the 1st linearization with QTR-Linearize-Quad, the resulting curve has eliminated the lightest ink entirely.

 

I’m mystified, I’ve remeasured, remade the CGATS and redone the QTR-Linearize-Quad several times with the same result. Does QTR-Linearize-Quad go crazy if numbers go too outside some parameters? Should I start with a smaller chart?

As I mentioned, the same remapping and linearization has worked fine through 2 other papers, the only difference being they were gloss.

I have attached images of the curves before and after the QTR-Linearize-Quad process, you can see the obvious elimination of the lightest gray and it’s % shown as 300.

Thanks, all these tools are working great so far and impress…

Tyler

HPRcoolK5.jpg

HPRcoolK5linerized.jpg


#2

Tyler,

I’m not a Mac user, but I note in your JPG files that the filename length on the linearized file is > 32 characters and IIRC this can cause all kinds of problems with QTR on the Mac. I also note that the linearized graph does not show a curve name at the bottom like the original curve, so that would seem to point in this direction. Maybe try using a shorter filename to see if the Curve Viewer is more happy?

FWIW,

Dave


#3

the thought that perhaps it is just a display problem for the viewer is intriguing, and that it does not display the name properly at the bottom is a clue too. But, I tried going back through the process with more normal file names and no go. Another thought came from Walker’s answer to a different thread about textedit problems, but so far that’s not getting me anywhere either, yet. Thanks for the reply


#4

OK, I remade the custom mapped original crv with wrangler and ran the cgats on in to linearize. It worked. Thought that’s what I did the first time… but… anyway, something about the 1st .quad… even if it prints and views fine, may fail the QTR-Linearize-Quad process if the encoding, or whatever is wrong.


#5

It’s all about the encoding. It needs to be UNIX UTF-8.

 

TextEdit no longer works properly (sadly).

 

Sorry for the late reply everyone,

I was in a print-session all day yesterday.

 

-Walker


#6

no problem, up and going. Apple seems hell bent on breakin stuff the last few years, not helping