PtPd-DevOut vs PtPd PrintOut

Hi,
I just switched to the Pro inks for my PtPd digital negatives and am about to start my calibration process. It comes with two PtpD curves, DevOut and PrintOut. What’s the difference?

The Develop out Processes are exposed to UV and then need to be developed in order for the image to appear….

The Print Out processes are developed fully as images during exposure to UV. Then they need only to be cleared.

They have different sensitivities….

We use the Malde-Ware printing out process at Cone Editions Press. And our UV Exposure systems which we sell at InkjetMall expose platinum prints of either elk in as little as 60 seconds!

Kindest regards,

Jon Cone

Hi Jon,
Is there a difference in dMax, smoothness or something like that ?

Malde-Ware is closest to how platinum printing was first done prior to the 1900s. Ammonium was used. And it is the presence of water molecules that makes the salts convert back to metal. Ammonium allows a more stable retention of hydration. So, Malde-Ware is exceptionally smoother and as much platinum as wanted can be used without producing grain. In fact, platinum added to palladium creates more acuity and smoothness. If you control your humidity you would find Malde-Ware to be the most stable of any platinum/palladium process. And the ammonium ferric oxalate is so stable that it can be premixed with the metals and stored in a bottle for up to four years without degradation. It’s just a superior medium in many ways. dMax is exceptional - but it is the amount of control and stability in the medium that is so seductive. Further one can have as much warmth as they wish with platinum. Color tone is controlled in part by the iron solution and humidity combination. Neutral is perfectly possible as well as cool. We calibrate our process with PiezoDN and there is never a surprise in the sink. It’s what we use and teach at Cone Editions Press.

regards,

Jon

1 Like