Printing the LIMITER target file

Per pg. 94 of the DN Manual, paragraph d) says to “drag the LIMITER file into the Print Tool and print it with the Master.quad curve for my printer”. When I put the LIMITER file in the PT, it’s 8x8 and inverted, and following these simple instructions, there is no black canvas around the image. My preset for the Quad 1430-Piezo DN “printer” will flip it horizontally.

Questions:

1. Will the Master curve invert the image and/or the entire page?

2. If it does, do I then need to put a black canvas around the LIMITER file to avoid having my printer make a big black border around it?

3. Should I change my preset as to NOT flip the image horizontally?

Thanks…

Robert

1. Will the Master curve invert the image and/or the entire page?

The master curve will invert the tonal values yes.

2. If it does, do I then need to put a black canvas around the LIMITER file to avoid having my printer make a big black border around it?

If you want clear film yes.

3. Should I change my preset as to NOT flip the image horizontally?

Yes. All the PiezoDN targets are already flipped.

thanks!

[I tried to post this as a new topic, but there appears to be a problem as I can’t see it, so I’m putting it here…}

I want to create a custom curve for my preferred process which is slightly different than what’s in the pre-calibrated Quad curves. My critical variables are: Paper: Arches Platine; Chemicals: Tween + F.O. #1 equal to total Metals + Metals: 70%Pd / 30%Pt; Developer: Amonium Citrate. I have established my standard print time with the above variables.

My confusion comes in understanding the proper order of these steps:

Q1. Do I first print the 129 step using the Master quad (section B, page 93)? and then…

Q2. Do I print the LIMITER.TIF file using Master quad (section C) and follow the instructions for limiting my quad? (Section D, page 96 says to print the 129 step with the option of using a custom limited quad, which is contributing to my confusion)

Q3. So, is the 129 step printed with the Master quad AND THEN go through the Limiting process, or do I Limit a quad first, THEN print the 129 step? (The instructions seem to give me both orders of the process)

Q4.Also, item #1 page 97 refers to the prior “STEP 2”, but I can’t see a STEP 2. Should it read STEP (section) D instead?

Q5. Section C page 93 gives instructions on creating a limited curve, and Section E page 96 appears to do the same with a different process. Which do I use?

In short, I want a customized curve for my process and just want to be sure I got the steps in order, that I’m printing the Targets with the correct curves, and I end up with a usable curve for my process.

Thanks…
Robert

Q1. Do I first print the 129 step using the Master quad (section B, page 93)? and then…

Yes. Print the master quad.

Q2. Do I print the LIMITER.TIF file using Master quad (section C) and follow the instructions for limiting my quad? (Section D, page 96 says to print the 129 step with the option of using a custom limited quad, which is contributing to my confusion)

Q3. So, is the 129 step printed with the Master quad AND THEN go through the Limiting process, or do I Limit a quad first, THEN print the 129 step? (The instructions seem to give me both orders of the process)

No need to limit.

Q4.Also, item #1 page 97 refers to the prior “STEP 2”, but I can’t see a STEP 2. Should it read STEP (section) D instead?

I really don’t know what you are referring to as step 97 is different in my manual. Please upload screenshot.

Q5. Section C page 93 gives instructions on creating a limited curve, and Section E page 96 appears to do the same with a different process. Which do I use?

Again. You need to look at the 2017 Deluxe Manual. I think you are looking at the Piezography Professional section (which has screenshot on using various measurement softwares) and not the PiezoDN section. Limiting is not needed.

In short, I want a customized curve for my process and just want to be sure I got the steps in order, that I’m printing the Targets with the correct curves, and I end up with a usable curve for my process.

Thanks…
Robert

You only need to go through the Limiting process if the Master quad prints the 129-step target with blocked up highlights. Print and measure that first. If necessary to Limit, you will end up creating a custom Master for your variables. Chances are good it won’t be necessary, though AC developer sometimes results in higher contrast than PO. (I say sometimes because it seems to be paper specific, and Platine is not one that is particularly sensitive in that regard.)

Once that has been determined, and you have printed and measured your 129-step with either the original or (if necessary) a custom Master quad, then you can proceed with linearization.