Printing on uncoated paper. - Hahbenmūhle Sumi-e

I have started testing HFA Sumi-e with Pro inks (with Ultra HD MK) on an SC-P6K using the Uncoated-Master.quad(s). Paper setting was Velvet Fine Art. And using Print Tool.

I am wondering if has tried this paper and what paper setting you settled on?

After 24 hour dry down (and with a hair dryer on the front and back side for approximately 5 minutes each set to medium heat) I seeing dark “bands” on the image side when viewed at an angle. Turning the paper over (non-printed side) this bands correlate to where the paper is rippled.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior when printing on uncoated paper?

Here are some of my theories as to what is causing this issue:

1. using the wrong paper setting (Velvet Fine Art).

2. ink not being “absorbed” into the paper evenly (either due to the paper being too thin and / or uncoated). Will linearizing the Uncoated-Master .quads solve this issue or do I somehow need to limit the amount of ink being laid down using the Advanced Adjustments area in QTR?

I want to continue testing with uncoated paper(s) and so any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.
Michael

Hi Michael,

My suggestion would be rather than limit inks in QTR to instead limit inks in PPETv2 and then create a new custom curve based on what you discover in ink limiting going through the entire linearization process.

I found that the Advanced Adjustments in QTR work significantly better with QTR designed curves rather than .quad files. So, I stopped using Advanced Adjustments sometime back in 2005. And I haven’t worked with QTR CurveDesign since, nor the Advanced Adjustments since we went all .quad. And its not a statement against QTR CurveDesign just that Piezography profiler went another direction 20 years ago and never looked back.

If you are curious - you could try limiting a starting curve in both and make comparative printouts to see how each handles ink limiting. In fairness to Roy, he may have made some changes so that .quads are limited in the same way his ink descriptor files are.

best,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I completely forgot that PPETv2 has that capability, :slight_smile: !

best.
Michael