Printing of 129 step tablet image

I printed the 129 step tablet image last night and it looks very strange. It looks very mottled if that is the right word and the negative looks like this too.

I have never seen this before and was wondering if anyone knows what caused it. I used the step tablet for the Colormunki that is in the PiezoDN images folder.

Thanks. Catherine[attachment file=1549]

I see a little of what looks like banding along with a fair amount of smudging. Since you see it in the negative, that is where the problem lies, not in the darkroom. I take it you did not have this problem on your previous negative. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Check nozzles. Always do a nozzle check before making a negative. Cheap insurance.
  2. Clean head if necessary. Do another nozzle check.
  3. Be sure you are printing on the correct side of the film. This does not look to be the case since text and lines would be smudged badly.
  4. Be sure printer is set for Photo Black.
  5. Platen gap may need to be adjusted.
  6. What paper feed method are you using? Rear feed with star-wheels disabled? Front feed?

I did not do a nozzle check and was printing on the right side of the film. Printer was set for Photo Black. I always use the front feed.

I have printed lots of negatives and have never had this problem. I will do a nozzle check next time.

Thanks for your reply, Keith.