Printing a photobook

Are there any double sided papers that are particularly good for piezography? I need some recommendations for both matte and gloss papers.

Moab Entrada Natural 300 would be my choice (or Entrada Bright 300 if you want a whiter sheet but it has OBAs). It’s a fairly thick paper though (22 mil), so you’d need to evaluate whether it would work in your book project.

If you need something less thick and maybe a bit more durable during handling, you might look at RedRiver Polar Matte. It’s a bright white paper (has OBAs), 229 gsm, 10 mil. I recently made some custom wire-bound calendars with B&W images on this paper and I was surprised how well it turned out (I was not printing with my Piezography inks in this case but there is no reason it wouldn’t work once properly linearized). I don’t normally use papers from RedRiver but for this application it worked really well and at low cost. I sprayed the sheets with Hahnemuhle Protective Spray for a bit of extra protetection from handling.

I think RedRiver also has a PK double-sided paper as well.

There’s an Entrada 210 too I think!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was worried about print density on matte paper but it sounds like the piezography UHD inks give very good density on all matte papers.

I’ll try to order a few samples.

I picked up a box of Entrada Rag Natural double-sided 190 at my local photo shop and made a few prints on my p400 with the built in curves; the results are beautiful and VERY similar to the HPR 188. I didn’t do any measurements but the density appears pretty close - just very slightly less black, but still excellent - I can’t wait to put this photobook together!

1 Like

If you’re making a traditionally bound book just be careful about grain direction. If I remember correctly Entrada Rag Natural is either grain long or Legion doesn’t guarantee grain direction and that could pose problems depending on how your book is laid out and constructed. I have had luck with Inkpress Duo Matte 80, which does come grain short. However I believe it does use OBAs.

That’s a good point that I overlooked. I can’t seem to find any information about the grain direction of Entrada and nothing is mentioned on the box. I tried tearing a piece but it tore similarly in both directions.

While doing more research I came across another double-sided paper from Hahnemuhle - Photo Rag Book and Album 220 that is available as Grain Short in most sizes.

I also came across an interesting post about double sided papers