PiezoPro master curves

Good afternoon,

I’m making negatives using piezo pro inkset. I primarily use Hahnemuhle paper, and am the beta master curve is a good starting point.

However, on Hosokawa Washi the beta master curve is not as good a starting point for me. I’m wondering whether new curves a being developed that might work better or what other people are doing?

Thanks in advance.

Everybody’s darkroom and materials are so different. This is what the “Piezography Curve Adjustment” tool was created to calibrate a master by eye (before or in-lew-of the calibration with a spectrophotometer).

best,

Walker

Got it. Thanks.

Best,

dave

I print on washi too. I’ve made profiles for several washi including Gampi Torinoko (KH-1, no longer available), Shikibu Gampi (ECG-36), Sekishu Torinoko Gampi (HP-60), and Hakkinshi, but not yet Hosakawa though I have tested it. Since I’m using the K7-Carbon inkset, I relimited the master curve, though the change was very slight and probably not necessary. My test of Hosakawa with a Stouffer 21-step show it to be quite similar to Hakkinshi, so I wouldn’t expect there to be a problem.

What specific issues are you having?

Thank you for your response Keith,

Much appreciated. When I print with another methodology (qtr and oem ink set), my Hosokawa prints turn out just as I envision them. With Piezo Pro, I am finding that I need to expose my image about a minute more than with other methodology, and that (I have not finished calibrating workflow with Hosokawa) the images are bit “anemic” and I think that they look “noisier” or have more grain in finished print. I was thinking of limiting the curve as well, which I still might test.

I have not yet sized the Hosokawa, but am going to try that later this week. Gelatin with Alum and Gelatin with Glyoxal. Testing both sizing recipes. Might help.

I’ve seen your notes on Washi for PT/PD on your site, and there is a lot of great info there. Everyone who is working with Japanese papers…go see Keith’s notes. Great write up.

Thanks again for response Keith.

Best,

dave

PiezoDN is a very dense negative and OHP Pictorico Ultra Premium (I assume you are using that as that is the only film that works with PiezoDN) is slightly more dense than other films so requires a longer min-time for max-black.

So, you probably actually need to linearize and it should all fall in line.

-Walker

Also, if you are using a Pro inkset, the actual neg you are printing is from a beta curve and it is more noisy than it should be. The final production curves will be much less noisy indeed but that R&D is a little ways out.

-Walker

Thanks Walker. I am using OHP Pictorico Ultra Premium. I do notice that with the Pro inkset is a bit (not bad though) noisy. Since I am a production shop, albeit a small one, and PT/PD print for other photographers, when do you think R&D will be on your schedule?
Thanks again,
dave

Hi Keith and / or Walker,

I’m finally back evaluating washi papers (having determined my exposure amount for max black with the Stouffer 21) and I am ready to linearize. What starting curve do you suggest? Recall I am printing on a 7880 with Pro inks.

Separately, is there a location here that lists all the current curves and curves-HD for ProDN on X880 printers (without downloading and installing the latest Community Edition package)?

thank you!
Michael

Hi Michael,

I’d start with the Master or PtPd quad that you should find in this folder:

I’m pretty sure they are the same based on looking at them in CurveView.

Good luck,
Keith

Hi Keith!

Thanks! What version of Piezography are you running? I ask because here is a screen shot of my curve folder!
The first 3 .quads are my linearized ones. Maybe I should upgrade to the v3.1 community edition, :slight_smile:
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.29.30 PM|690x261

best.
Michael

Ah So! I realized that your screenshot is not for PiezoDN-Pro. Since it is not labeled I assume it is K7? In any case I have the PiezoPro inks installed.

It looks like the three relevant .quads in the PiezoDN-Pro folder are identical. Curve view for the three are identical.

1. Pro-PiezoDN-Master.quad
  2. Pro-PiezoDN-PtPd-PrintOut.quad
  3. x8xx-PiezoDN-Pro-Master-goldmastr

So it looks like I can pick any of these to start, :slight_smile:

best.
Michael

Oops! My bad. Here is the one I meant to highlight:

This looks the same as yours, except for your linearizations. Unless you have switched to Malde-Ware chemistry, use the one highlighted as a starting point.

Keith

You don’t seem to have the “Master-goldmaster”.quad.

I have not switched to Malde-Ware.

I assume the PrintOut.quad is for Malde-Ware (since your highlighted the DevOut.quad for me to start with)? If so why is it identical to Pro-PiezoDN-PtPd-PrintOut.quad is identical to Pro-PiezoDN-Master. quad and x8xx-PiezoDN-Pro-Master-goldmstr.quad?

That is correct, sir. Master and PtPd-PrintOut (and apparently goldmastsr) are the same, but PtPd-DevOut is not nearly as dense in the highlights.
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 4.29.54 PM Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 4.30.00 PM
Keith

Yep, my .quads match your .quads! :slight_smile:

So excuse my ignorance, but why are the three .quads identical if PrintOut is for Malde-Ware and DevOut is for “classical” (i.e. non-Malde-Ware)? The master and goldmaster .quads were published before Malde-Ware?!

Michael

I think the “goldmastr” pre-dates the public release of PiezoDN quads for Pro inks, and that is why you have it. It’s not part of the regular distribution, and, as I recently found out in another context, older curve folders are not deleted when you install a newer release. I’m sure that is a good thing, since it would seriously suck if folders (or even individual quads) you actually used were deleted by an update, but it can lead to some confusion.

My guess is that since Malde-Ware (Print-Out) PtPd is the longest scale of any of these processes, that it has become the default Master, since limiting from a longer scale quad as necessary is a lot simpler than adding ink density.

Keith

Thank you sir for that cogent explanation.

I’ll start with the DevOut. quad for the washi tests.

Back to social distancing into my studio, :slight_smile:

Michael

1 Like