PiezoDN - canvas

Working in Capture One Pro 12 (PS or LR not available, sorry).
It’s not possible to create in Capture One Pro a ‘black’ canvas around the picture(s).
This will result on a ‘black’ canvas around the picture(s) when printed on a Pictorico film (I’ve used the P2-PiezoDN-PtPd curve).

–> How to have a ‘white’ canvas around the pictures when printed on the Pictorico film?
I’ve made a ‘black’ picture that I’ll use as a ‘background’ in PrintTool.
On top of this ‘background’ I’ll place the picture(s) that I would like to develop in the next steps.
In the attached file to this topic, you can see a screen shot of the PrintTool with the ‘black background’ and on top four pictures’.
This will give a print of the four pictures whit a white background.

–> Is this method OK or will it give some disadvantages or flaws that I don’t see for the moment.

All the best, Peter.

PiezoDN - 4.tiff (516.5 KB)

If you create a black canvas around the image in Ps, Lr, C1, GIMP, or anything else, you will get a clear canvas on the negative.

If you want a black masking edge on the negative, you must give it a white border on the image. But you still will need to create a black canvas the same size as the film in order to prevent QTR from printing black out to the edge of the film, which can make a mess in the printer.

You can do all of this in whatever image editor you use, but you can also do it in Print-Tool which can be very efficient. The one thing P-T does not allow is changing layer order so you must open them in the right order.

1. Black canvas
  2. White border mask (optional)
  3. Image (s)
  4. 21-step (optional)
  5. Text (optional)

Here is an example:

Hope this helps,
Keith

Keith, thanks! I’m starting with PiezoDN and keen to learn.

In C1 I’m did found (and think it will not be possible) how to add a ‘canvas’ or border around the image. Anyway - I’ve made a ‘black’ background that I load first in PT and with the correct order of importing other items in PT it will be as in your example.

I known that in PT you’re able to add some text. It seems that, in your example, you’ve added a text file from outside PT. Which application do you use for creating these text files?

Best Regards, Peter

Hope you’re doing well with COVID-19. Here in Belgium it’s a different way of life.

Hi Peter,

I should have mentioned that I keep a folder on my desktop for easy access to Black background masks (always full sheet size of the film) and White edge masks (generally 1 inch larger in both dimensions than image size).

I actually just type in the text in P-T. There are menus for font/size/color under the Text drop-down list. I like your idea of having a ready-made file to copy/paste from, though. I might play around with that a bit. It would be nice if it could be pre-formatted too. I’ll try a few apps and see if anything works that way.

The positioning of the text layer serves another purpose for me too: I use the bottom of the text as a positioning guide for aligning the paper beneath the image. In this case it is a 10x20" sheet for a 7x17" image.

Stay well,
Keith