Non GCO Curves installation and use

I have a number of questions now that I have PPE. I’ll start the 1st about the targets used and printing them.
Since I like to stock 13 x 19 media, I use a custom paper size of 9.5 x 13 for a lot of my printing. The target for the spyder is a 21 step and I can print 3 on a sheet (in portrait mode) by selecting the target and print each C, N, W repositioning each time and letting each dry inbetween passes. This is not a problem for matt media, but gloss media will print a GCO over the entire sheet so my method cannot work with gloss type media like Platine & Baryta… Since I’m on Windows, I have to use the QTRgui to print through. I see in the QTR folder, there is folder labled “No GCO curves” and listed for Platine & Baryta are curves for C, N, & W. Can these be used to print the targets like I want (3 different ones on the same sheet) but use only one normally to finish the coating. If this is possible, Houw to I get these curves into the QTRgui so they can be selected?

Drag these into your curve older and they will appear and be usable. If you are on a Mac you need to run the install command to get them loaded in your menu. If on PC I think it’s live.

warm regards!
-Walker

Hello!
First, “Since I’m on Windows, I have to use the QTRgui to print through.” So I’m not on a Mac.
I’m going to assume that “curve older” was meant to be curve FOLDER ;^)
What I’m not understanding is that these curves (in a folder) are already in the list of curves, but that folder is not seen in the list when I open the QTRgui. How am I able to select them in order to use them? Also, the list in QTRgui start with P800- whereas the GCO start with P8-. As an example:
In the QTRgui list:
P800-Canson-BarytaPhoto-Warm.quad
Whereas in the GCO list:
P8-Canson-BarytaPhoto-W-NGCO.quad

Hi Keith. I wish I could help, but I’m on a Mac. You might check the QTR forum since these questions apply to any custom .quad.

I did ask the question there but did not get a good answer. Seems everyone is Mac centric or is assuming that Piezography .quad files can just be put into the QTR folder. I tried and it doesn’t work. At least I couldn’t make them work when I pull up QTRgui and don’t see them amongst the rest of the Piezography curves.

I still am having difficulty to do what you suggest. This is partially what I wrote on the QTR forum in Groups.IO.
Where as the profiles for Piezography Pro come through the Piezography Community edition:
QuadP800-Pro> the list of profiles (specific brand gloss media Cool, Neutral, or Warm. quad) made with the Piezography Pro inkset, including 3 FOLDERS for GCO curves (of which is what I want to add since they don’t show up in QTRgui). Each of the folders contain profiles for the glossy media that are printed with Piezography Pro inks.

Anyone? Can I get an answer please?

You can use the NWGCO (No White GCO) curves and then just copy/paste these into your live curve folder which would be in ProgramsX86>Quadtone RIP>Quadtone>Quad(yourprinter)Pro

-walker

Thank you! That worked for me. Now on to my other previous question about the Spyder 1005 spectrocolormeter. Even though I use my i1Studio for color profiles and according to you it is not useable for Piezography, I also have my copy of PrintFix Pro (removed from my system) which has the 1005. Will that be useable for Piezography?
Keith

Hi Keith,

The software you mentioned (PrintFixPro) is ancient, though I’m reasonably sure your Spyder device is still useable. Here is a link to the download page for the SpyderPrint 5.5 software you need:
https://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1666/133/spyderprint-55---windows

You might also find the article I wrote a few years ago about working with the SpyderPrint to be helpful. Though it is Mac oriented, I suspect it is relevant to the Windows version as well.

I’ve not been very active here, or with photography and printmaking in general, over the last couple of years due to various family matters that keep coming up, but I am hopeful that will change this year.

Regards,
the other Keith

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Life gets in the way of life.
I installed the software & looked up what it was that I actually had. It’s a Spyder3print SR
Spectrocolormeter. I’ll read through your artical, even though I’m doing prints, not negatives.