Newbie question, Gloss Optimizer

hello,

I am trying to make my first digital negatives and wondering if i should run a second pass for the Gloss optimizer

Set up: Epson 9880 with Regular K7 Selenium inkset : LLK-Gloss Optimizer, LM-shade5, LC-shade3, LB-shade6, Photoblack opaque, C-shade2, M-shade4, Y-shade7…Printing on Pictorico Ultrapremium OHP.

With this set up should i run a second pass to harden the negative? what GO curve to use, the 30000?

Do you print this second run in the same way as in printing on glossy papers?

Kind Regards,

Luc Brefeld

Never put a neg through a printer a second time. Too fragile.

The PiezoDN curves print a small amount of GO at the same time as the ink and this helps to harden the neg on first printing.

best,

Walker

Thanks Walker,

Clear answer. With my set up is shade 7 being used printing a digital Neg?

in my list of curves there is : 9800-9888-PiezoDN-Pd-AC-IJM curve …what palladium proces is this IJM curve made for?

Kind regards,

Luc

<span style=“caret-color: #5b5b5b; color: #5b5b5b; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 15.600000381469727px; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>With my set up is shade 7 being used printing a digital Neg?</span>

PiezoDN curves do not use Shade 7.

<span style=“caret-color: #5b5b5b; color: #5b5b5b; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 15.600000381469727px; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>in my list of curves there is : 9800-9888-PiezoDN-Pd-AC-IJM curve …what palladium proces is this IJM curve made for?</span>

This in an “Palladium developed in Ammonium Citrate” curve but this was early on in my learning about PtPd printing so in reality there should only be one Platinum/Palladium master curve and each practitioner should make their own calibrated curves off of that one. It’s in there only for posterity.

best,

Walker

Hey guys, I’ve been rummaging through the documentation for this info (Section 12 in the Piezography manual only says the GO makes the neg harder).
Could you confirm that, Walker?
I’m about to print my first step tablets with the carbon K7 ink set on a 4900 and I also assumed a second pass is necessary.
Cheers,
Csaba

No-where in PiezoDN does it say to second-pass your target nor are there any GO30000 (or equivalent) curves installed in the PiezoDN folder to allow for that process to take place in the first place.

But long story short, GO is not entirely required and we are slowly migrating away from applying GO at all. Just print with the PiezoDN curve you have installed and you will be fine. As a rule, never run your neg through/against any surface (printer or otherwise) except paper and contact glass. It’s very fragile.

-Walker

Gotcha. The manual is a bit confusing though, it DOES say that GO is recommended, makes the neg more scratch resistant, just doesn’t say it’s done with one pass.
Thanks, Walker.

Next version will have a new manual published online and always updated w/ statement from above.

-Walker

OK thanks. While we’re at it, pls clarify: step target in PiezoDN_targets folder is already flipped. DO I need to select Flip Horizontally in print settings as stated in manual?

For targets you do not need to flip in driver.

best,
Walker