Need clarification on Linearization process

Today it occurred to me that I may have made a fundamental error in one of the steps I’ve been following to linearize a number of papers so far. Please clarify:

When launching QTR-Linearize-Quad on the 2nd iteration using the 129-step corrected data, do I select the original Master curve to be linearized, or should I be selecting the intermediate quad which resulted from the first linearizaton step using the 51-step data on the Master curve?

Something tells me I should have been selecting the intermediate quad, not the original Master curve when doing the 2nd interation. Luckily I kept all my data files and the intermediate quad files so it will be easy for me to fix this if needed without having to re-read the targets.

Thanks for all your help! Dave

You are correct Dave. Print the 129 step Target using the -lin.quad that you generated using the 51 step target. Otherwise, you would not need a 51 step target and you would go straight to the 129 target. The idea is that 51 gets you closer and 129 zero’s in on a more perfect linear curve for your printer’s characteristics & performance.

You are correct Dave. Print the 129 step Target using the -lin.quad that you generated using the 51 step target. Otherwise, you would not need a 51 step target and you would go straight to the 129 target. The idea is that 51 gets you closer and 129 zero's in on a more perfect linear curve for your printer's characteristics & performance.

I think you misunderstood my question. Yes, I know to use the intermediate quad to print the 129-step target. What I am asking about relates to the 2nd iteration of linearizing with QTR-Linearize-Quad. . . should I be linearizing the intermediate quad or the Master?

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Intermediate. If you do not rename the intermediate quad, you will get a final curve with the name ending -lin-lin.quad.

After completing the process, I move the “master” and the intermediate curves to a history folder. Not sure why I am keeping the intermediate files, but they take very little room. Then I rename the final curves (ending -lin-lin.quad) using this nomenclature:

3880_Canson_RagPhoto_Cool-L.quad

so I know this curve was Linearized (L) for my 3880 and Canson Rag Photographique. Just how I do it so I know what I’m working with.

HTH

Then as you go forward, if anything changes with the printer/paper and you need to re-linearize, simply use the most recently linearized curve and do the 129 steps. No need to go from scratch if you are re-linearizing an already linearized curve in the future.

best,

Walker