Monitor Upgrade

In searching the forum, the most recent monitor recommendation I have found is from 2017 for the NEC SpectraView. In talking with the reps at Sharp/NEC they said I needed to try to find a PA271Q-BK-SV Which is discontinued. He indicated they were eliminating their SpectraView monitor line and it is unknown what will replace it. I am thinking 24” or 27”.

Can you give me your current recommendations for a monitor for both color and Piezography work? I was hoping for a $1500-ish budget if possible. If you are aware of the current market of wide gamut color critical monitors, perhaps you could share what I would gain by increasing the budget in $500 or so increments to $2500.

I currently have the I1 Pro colorimeter.

I am also looking to add a new monitor as well (I will continue to use my NEC SpecteaView 27”). I am considering the newish Eizo ColorEdge CG series or a Benq SW series monitor. Both have hardware calibration support. Wondering what others are using as well.

I’m in the same boat. My NEC LCD2490WUXi is starting to show areas of uneven illumination which isn’t being corrected by the built-in ColorComp feature. Based on the discussion in this Luminous Landscape posting, I’m considering the Eizo CS2731.

1 Like

I found a used NEC PA271Q at $1250 and no warranty. I’m skeptical of how many hours may be on this one. Do the current crop of monitors fade with use like the old CRT designs? This one was $1500 new. I’m guessing its holding so much of its value used b/c NEC has discontinued it’s 27” model in their professional color critical line.

Walker, can you give us any advice on an upgrade? Would you go with a used NEC w/Spectraview II over options by Eizo or BenQ or would you have another recommendation?

hmm. These are long lived models. It’s a bit high, but generally they are between 700 and 1300 used (refurbished) through BH.

best
Walker

Thank you. Do these displays fade in brightness as they age (ala the old CRT technology)?

Would you personally go with one of these used as opposed to the Eizo or BenQ? I do both ConeColor and PiezoBW prints on twin Epson 3880’s.

no not really.

A new BenQ probably offers the highest bang for your buck at this point IMO.

-Walker

Would strongly recommend the eizo CS or ideally CG series. Had some dude I was tech-ing for with a BenQ and it had some really strange calibration issues. Eizo CS2420 is very good, ThAts what I use