Hi guys, so as you know, we’re working with a 9900 with a head that we replaced after you (walker) left. The new head is missing orange, which houses very light warm, so no problem. However, I am having an impossible time getting this thing to be perfectly linear, and sometimes even close to linear.
When I replaced the head, I was unaware that the only zeros and ones are used in the head rank ID. I am not sure if I put them in as the letters “o” and “i” but I imagine that could really mess things up voltage-wise. Once I realized this, I went back and made sure to put it in correctly (even scanned the little QR code to verify the ID was correct).
The initial 129 reads for most curves look like this at best:
After printing another 129 with that curve, I got this:
Even when it reads as very close to linear, I still get visible banding in 16bit gradients, especially in the transitions from RGB 10 - 0 values. Here’s the photo rag curve that looks linear, but bands still. Printed using a 51step linearized curve:
Doesn’t seem to matter if I do single pass 129 lin, or 51 / 129 lin, this still happens. I am using this image to test print. It’s a ~5.5x5.5" 16bit GG2.2 image generated using the gradient tools in PS CC 2017.
I have also tried different computers with different OS, different USB cords, re-entering the head rank / clearing the head counter, all readings are very carefully read via i1pro2 colorport spot reading (I’ve even tried calibrating three times throughout the 129 chart). Some are better than others, but after seeing first-hand the possible smoothness of the gradients achievable with this system, I really want to get our system optimized to that level!
Link to the full size test file I’m using… wish I could capture the banding being printed, but it doesn’t really translate properly.
HPR308_Cool_129.txt (2.13 KB)
EdEtch_C_129_InitialReading.txt (2.11 KB)