Linearising matte paper - best practice - what Dmax?

Hi Walker

I have just reprofiled IFA11 and Museo Portfolio Rag based on the Hn PhotoRag quad. I am getting a Dmax of 1.58 or 1.60.
This is not very high. Can this be due to the PhotoRag quad. Which quad would you recommend?
Thanks, Markus

I think you need to print this target in calibration mode and look at the first row and measure the darkest value. Portfolio rag (used to be coated by Crane) is now coated by Intelicoat and has gone way down hill since it began. It may require a very limited black.

VPI-10InkSep.tif.zip (674.2 KB)

best,
Walker

Thanks Walker
As for Portfolio Rag, I do not see it that “black” :wink: I still think, that it has the nicest touch and a very nice structure - also in the coating which means in terms of detail sharpness.
But anyhow: I have printed the calibration target and get a Dmax of 1.58 at 65/70 %.
This is what I also get when linearizing from PhotoRag quads. The Innova IFA 11 remains at 1.56.
So, for the moment I think that I can get out the most of what is in my inks - and the next step would be to install a fresh inkset.
Best, Markus

This is very very strange. Are you using the UltraHD MK ink? This should be giving you a dMax closer to 1.8 on matte papers.

best,
Walker

I would say so - but as I mentioned, I will probably have to replace this inkset since it is sitting in the printer for more than 1 year already.
best, Markus

Hi Walker

After having replaced the 2 blacks and some cleaning I am back at Dmax > 1.7 on both Innova IFA11 and Museo Portfolio Rag. Unfortunately, due to some heavy clogging, there is one or two inks at very low levels.
Can I order just these through Wells?
One more issue: on IFA 11, the blacks show a slight overinking. How would you solve this - reduce the blacks in the file or limiting the curve?
Thanks, Markus

Yep! shop.inkjetmall.com

Either will do. The fast way is the file though.

best,
Walker