K7 vs. Pro - how long will unopened ink bottles last?

Hello again,

I find myself in a new conundrum now, all my fault. Back in mid 2015 after I took the Piezography Workshop and tried all the different K7 ink sets, I fell in love with the Special Edition and added it to the Selenium I had already been using. Unfortunately, due to life getting in the way, I never opened the Special Edition bottles and it is just now, that I’m finally able to go back to photography and printing. However, I couldn’t resist the temptation of also acquiring a set of the new Pro ink set system since it seems to make having multiple printers obsolete.

My questions:

• How long will the unopened ink bottles last?

• How different is the Pro system from the K7 system’s Selenium and Special Edition? Does the Pro ink set make the K7 ink sets obsolete since it can replicate them? Or does it produce its own different variations and is therefore good to have it coexist with the K7 printers?

I’m trying to decide if I should install the K7 Special Edition ink set on my second printer, or install the Pro ink set on the second printer and even perhaps on the first one and just consider the K7 ink sets a “loss”, which I would hate to do. (Pretty sure I won’t be able to return the unopened bottles, but who knows?)

Thanks!

René

– How long will the unopened ink bottles last?

I very very very (etc) long time. Keep the bottles horizontal and turn them by 90 degrees every fee months. This keeps everything suspended perfectly pretty much forever. (many years)

– How different is the Pro system from the K7 system’s Selenium and Special Edition? Does the Pro ink set make the K7 ink sets obsolete since it can replicate them? Or does it produce its own different variations and is therefore good to have it coexist with the K7 printers?

Pro does not replicate or obsolete K7. It's just an expansion of the possibilities of Piezography. Also, Special Edition is a unique inkset and Pro does not make a print exactly like it. Pro is a good inkset for coexistence with K7.

I’m trying to decide if I should install the K7 Special Edition ink set on my second printer, or install the Pro ink set on the second printer and even perhaps on the first one and just consider the K7 ink sets a “loss”, which I would hate to do. (Pretty sure I won’t be able to return the unopened bottles, but who knows?)

I think you will be good w/ SpecEd!

Thanks!

One last question, how do the Pro ink set compares to the Selenium ink set? Even if not identical, can you tell them apart if viewing two prints or are they a lot closer than the Pro vs. Special Edition would be?

The pro inkset is less magenta than the selenium.

-W

Decided to install the K7 Special Edition and delay the installation of Pro, for now.

As I get up to speed, I have one more dumb question, when printing with Special Edition to JC Type 2 Matte paper, I’ll set the printer to the Matte Black which will use the MK Neutral Shade 1, correct? And when printing to the glossy one, I’ll set it to Photo Black which in this case contains PK Warm-Neutral MPS Shade 1, correct?

Thanks again!

René

That is correct!
Best,
Walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!