Improving ColorMunki accuracy for linearizing

Walker,

In capturing target values for linearizing, I had one L reading (4.2) obviously in error because it was lower than the next darker patch. I went back to the printed target and re-read that square again (6.3). The next two darker patches were .1-.2 different than the first reading. This makes me wonder how accurate the other 48 readings are. I’m referring to operator error as well as the typical variance of my ColorMunki in reading spot colors.

Do you kow much variation in the L value of any given target would make a noticeable difference in the print?

The linearization process is obviously laborious. How much accuracy could be gained by making several readings and averaging them? I could easily discard the low and high or exclude any that are outside of a given variance from the others. A spread sheet could automatically do these calculations.

This is what the Error Corrector utility works to fix, however, it could be a combination of your 3880 (edge issues) and operator error. The device itself measures to a resolution of .1 L* so as long as the printed patch is good and the device is over it properly, you should not have problems.

-Walker