GO use for different media - strategy?

Hi Walker,

As you know, I am progressing with the use of my remapped K6 system, that I intend to use both for printing matt inkjet prints AND digital negatives.

Right now, I have a K6 remapped with GO. Shade 7 is out. I need to switch the black inks.
My questions are:

• For digital negatives with 9900 : Is GO applied with the curves at the same time the negative is printed? When I last used PiezoDN, GO was used for “anti-scratch” reasons (protection of the negative). Is that still the case?
  • For printing ink on matt paper: Can GO be applied AFTER the print is made for protection? I see Brian Kossof has been (successfully) applying GO on matt inkjet prints for protection without damages to the print?
  • For printing ink on glossy paper: Can GO be applied as the print is made? Or do you need to leave all gases leave the print before applying it? Is it really recommended and for what reason?

The reasons I am asking is because I just wonder whether in my case it might be better to:

• Leave GO and use it for digital negatives and glossy prints (eventually matt prints too)
  • Change GO for the K7 pigment. Are K6 systems the way to go with the new PPEv2? I see many people just using P2 or K6 systems out there… Eventually a K7 is not really as beneficial as having the GO?
  • A third option would be to shift the GO position for another Black ink, in order to have a P2 system (with no GO) so that I do not need to switch inks when I print on matt paper and then digital negatives. That might be nice, but well, I guess one can always batch work to be done with one ink or another…

Your thoughts about this?
Thanks and regards,

Rafael

not anymore.

better to spray with something like Hahnemuhle Archival Spray.

It can’t with traditional K6/7 except for the Neutral K6/7 inks with batch numbers in barcode form (2019 or newer inks)

Hi Walker,

Based on these answers, I am forced to ask: which is the point of having GO in the cart then?
Would you suggest to leave the GO, or go with the option A, B or C?:

A) Leave GO and use it for digital negatives and glossy prints (eventually matt prints too) ?
B) Change GO for the K7 pigment. Are K6 systems the way to go with the new PPEv2? I see many people just using P2 or K6 systems out there… Eventually a K7 is not really as beneficial as having the GO?
C) A third option would be to shift the GO position for another Black ink, in order to have a P2 system (with no GO) so that I do not need to switch inks when I print on matt paper and then digital negatives. That might be nice, but well, I guess one can always batch work to be done with one ink or another…

Your thoughts about this?
Thanks Walker!

Regards,

Rafael

Hi Walker,
I have not seen many answers lately, I really hope you all are doing well, given the circumstances…
Thanks and regards,
Rafael

GO (was) for hardening the negs. But we re-formulated selenium to allow for no go. But there’s a few bottles left of the old formulation circulating so we haven’t completely eliminated that from our builds. The GO is for tradition gloss-on-paper piezo printing which lots of people want to do as well.

best,
Walker

Thanks Walker. Good to see you there. I honestly got a bit worried with all this coronashit.
I get it. Not for digital negs. Yes for gloss prints.
For gloss prints, is GO applied as the ink is applied? Or do we need to put the print through a second time for GO to be applied? Is this to allow gases dissipate?

I know I am making lots of questions lately… I am very actively working with the system, now that we are literally locked down inside of the studio, we are taking our time to make a book of a project. That is why. Please be patient with me!

Thanks
rafael

no, second pass as documented in manual.