Color shift - Where does it come from?

I am using the ProInk in a 9900 printer. My goal is to replicate the feel of a gelatin-silver print. I am using Cone Type 2 paper, matt ink.

My mix (see attached) is cool/neutral/warm

Highlights: 15/85/0

Midtones: 60/30/10

Shadows: 70/30/0

When I view the print under the GTI Viewing station (D5000), the print looks good. There is a little warmth which makes the print more “lively”. When I print with just the cool curve, the print has a blue cast (very cold feel).

When I view in natural light (window light), I get the same result. So the idea was to print the project with the above mix!

When I checked the prints under the gallery lighting (Soora LED, 3000K, MR16 - GU10, Vivid Light), the print looks like a Sepia print, very warm. And when I check the print with just the cool curve, it looks ok (not the very cold feel I experience under my D5000 viewing station).

I have checked the gallery lighting with order prints (gelatin silver, digital prints) and the shift between D5000 and their light is almost unnoticeable.

I am curious if someone else has had such an experience, where the shift in tonality in the piezo print is drastic under different lighting (all calibrated!).

Thanks for the advice … Oliver Klink

So, you are trying to replicate the look of a gelatin print (gloss + baryta + oba) with non-oba matte paper (type2) and ink. These are fundamentally different base-tones so you will get different qualities. For example, this ink on Type2 (or any matte) will look very contrasty and dark under warm low-light and gelatin will react differently. If you are looking to simulate a silver print I suggest printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta as your starting point as this is the same paper base as Ilford Multigrade IV.

best,

Walker