Building an ICC soft proofing profile with pro inks after linearization

After linearizing the warm, neutral, and cool curves (pro ink / paper combo) following section 9 of the manual and watching the piezography curve calibration tutorial I have a question. I also watched the piezography ICC profiling tutorial.

If I want to soft proof not only the tones but also the hue of a specific blend (using the QTR slides) can I create an ICC profile for soft proofing following the directions outlined in the manual and video above? So what I would do is print the 129 step chart (in my case using the Spyder workflow) selecting the linearized warm, cool, and neutral curves along with the slider settings for my specific “blend”. Once the test chart is printed and dried down, I would follow how to measure, use PP Tools v2, and install this new ICC profile in the appropriate library location. Once installed, and using PS, I could select this profile see soft proof my image (and since this is using the normal piezography linear workflow I would have “preserve RBG numbers” turned on).

There is an easier way if just building soft proof profiles for linear/color match. print the 21step target, measure and save the measurement data as CGATS. The drag this over QTR-Create-ICC-RGB to build the soft proof profile.

best,
Walker

Thank you Walker.

I had a momentary lapse and forgot about the QTR Create ICC droplets.

Out of curiosity what is the difference between the two QTR-Create-ICC droplets (w/ and w/o RGB)? I’ve never quite understood.

The RGB ones just allow for softproofing regardless of what color-space your file is in. The grayscale ones only allow softproofing when your image is also grayscale.

best,
Walker

Can you print with an ICC using the create gray ICC droplet and it’ll apply roughly screen-ish matching contrast for non-linear piezo printing via print tool manage colors / relative ? I’ve tried this and it did seem to add some contrast, but not enough to match screen without softproof