Blender recipe to mimic SE

Walker et al-

I’m back to playing with the blender tool, and as a way of teaching myself how to use it I’m trying to mimic the PiezoSE inks on my Pro printer. How does this recipe look for a slightly cool matte paper I’m testing on?

Thanks.

-Mike

yep, that’s just about it!

best,

Walker

Special Edition has always been a favorite of mine in the K7 ink lineup. For a while now I have wanted to re-create it in Pro but only recently got around to playing with it. Using the above as a stepping-off point, here is my latest iteration using the Blender tool in PPE2 on PhotoRag.

Thank you for sharing the blends above, Special Edition K7 was a favorite here too. Forgive the naive question, but how would you translate these values to three sliders in QTR Print Tool for Pro inks?

Hi @sperry. I’m not sure how those would translate to the sliders in QTR Print Tool. In my earlier testing, I found the transitions were more to my liking when I did the blend in the PPE2 worksheet.

When I was digging into this topic, this forum post was very helpful and is playing with these recipes in Print Tool.

Experimenting with Piezo Pro curves – and emulating classic Agfa papers

Also, the original Original K7 Special Edition mix:
Shade 7 = Neutral shade 7
Shade 6 = Neutral shade 6
Shade 5 = Selenium shade 5 (cool)
Shade 4 = 50% Carbon shade 4 and 50% Selenium shade 4 (neutral’ish)
Shade 3 = 75% Carbon shade 3 and 25% Selenium shade 3 (more warm)
Shade 2 = Carbon shade 2 (warm)
Shade 1 = Piezography K7 shade 1 black

If I were going to try in using the sliders, this is where I would start.
Highlights: 100% Neutral *remember Neutral is approx: 80%cool and 20%warm
Midtones: 50% Warm & 50% Cool
Shadows: 100% Warm

Hi @jsking
My apologies for the late reply, I just saw this now. Thank you and will give it a go!
All best,
Sean.

1 Like

Give it a go, and let us know what you find. Good luck!