Best ink system for digital negs?

Noise is generally caused by 2 things.

1. Your platen gap is too high (aka, front load or wide/wider setting)
  2. You are using a non-selenium or non-pro ink that uses carbon as shade 2 (not compatible with dig negs).

The eventone driver dither will not fix those variables. Please verify for me that you have resolved those two variables above.

-Walker

Yep, check on those, I am pretty satisfied currently with the results I’m getting; I’m just trying to optimize my settings and anything else I can do to get the best possible negatives I can milk out of the 3880.

I did the JKS 3880 modification with front feed open and feeding through the Auto Sheet Feeder (AFS).

I find that the curvature to the media provided by using the ASF over using the rear feed seems to cause a beneficial curl in the media film as it is printed on and passes through the platen caused by the, ever so slight, downward bow or curl in the (media) film as it is being printed. I was getting some head strikes using the “Narrow” Platen setting so I switched to “Standard” and that seems to have fixed that problem, but I’d recommend using the lowest or most narrow setting your printer will allow without head strikes.

I also wedged a strip of film to act as a guide, 11” in width (wider if you have a longer piece of film) from the right side of the front feed tray. I curled this guide film through the top of the front feed and then below the front roller and taping the front of this “guide film” to the front feed tray; this causes the “guide film” to curve or bow slightly upward, but not so much as to touch the Star-Wheels, which is lifted away from the rollers with JKS’s modification. Play with how far you push this guide film under the front rollers until you get a slight upward bow just right without touching the Star-Wheels, or about half way between the rollers and the Star Wheels. What I’m calling guide film stays in place and guides the media film through the upper part of the front feed tray. The slight upward bow in the guide film seems to further accentuate the beneficial downward curve or very slight downward curl in the (media) film as it is being printed. You may also need to tape a small strip of film of top of the guide film, on the far-right side, to guide the media over the tab on the right side of the front feed tray. Hopefully this will all make sense once you look at the front feed tray, and probably read this paragraph again a time or two; and once you see how the media comes through as it is being printed.
-Randy

Walker,
With those 2 items checked does the eventone driver seem to offer some advantages over the QTR driver? If so is there some place I can download the driver, even though the eventone driver may be a beta version? Thanks,
-Randy