9900 might have died

I sourced a surplus 9900 that sat for a while but printed an ok color nozzle check sans the yellow channel. I installed Cone carts with flush and did an initial fill. The right side waste tank overflowed even thought the display indicated it was fine (lucky for me I have medical ‘chucks’ on the floor beneath the printer.) I let the printer sit for a few days with the flush and did a nozzle check.

Yellow channel was back but the green was not so good. I did a cleaning and started having problems like Mark and Douglas.

Today I reset the chip on the right tank since it was displaying near full. I did a paired channel to clean the absent green and poor orange. I am now getting an intermittent fatal error A139. I figure its soon to be permanent. I can boot into maintenance fine, cleared the ink parameters but no joy. Error was still there. I am letting the printer sit sans any power for now.

Any ideas ? Who do you recommend for service in the NYC met area ?

Cheers

This error happens when there is a short in the ribbon cable going to the print-head. It may be fixable by replacing the ribbon cable (plentiful in any 9900 that is a junker in someone’s garage). It may have shorted a small copper contact wire in the head-itself, or it may be a main-board circuit failure. First thing to replace is the ribbon cable (very carefully!)

best, and I feel your pain

Walker

Do you mean “1A39” error? If so, that indicates a head problem usually related to the flexible ribbon cable which runs from the head to the head sub-board assembly. If not inserted properly into the head, a short can occur and cause head electrical damage, main board damage, or both.

Has the head been previously replaced on the printer?

[quote quote=27595]

I am now getting an intermittent fatal error A139.
Do you mean “1A39” error? If so, that indicates a head problem usually related to the flexible ribbon cable which runs from the head to the head sub-board assembly. If not inserted properly into the head, a short can occur and cause head electrical damage, main board damage, or both. Has the head been previously replaced on the printer? [/quote]

I have not replaced the head. The printer was moved / transported, but was working fine throughout the initial fills, nozzle checks and cleaning.

I will check to see if this cable has come loose, then see if I can source a replacement.

Thanks

Walker: When you select ‘Head Exchange’ from the serviceman’s menu, the head spends some time at the cap station doing something. I’m guessing its emptying ink out of the head.

Have any experience with that ? Am I correct ?

It is not emptying ink, probably just checking encoder strip position before uncapping.

best,

Walker

Thanks Walker . The (printer)Gods Must Be Crazy. I ran ‘Head Exchange’ to move the printhead out to where I could at least get a look at it. After consulting the service manual, I saw that it is very involved to even get to the connection of the ribbon cable on this 9900 (have experience on a 7600 - simpler animal.) So I just jiggled the ribbon with a chop stick and placed the head back to the cap position with my hand and lo; printer is working again!

But now I have 4 dropped channels, hence why I thought the ‘Head Exchange’ might be draining ink from the head.

I’m thinking another initial fill may be in order, as opposed to cleaning cycles .

Would you concur ?

Cheers

Your four dropped channels may be because of the head movement procedure (do just a normal cleaning, not and init-fill, and check nozzles).

But, it may be because of a short in the ribbon cable or head (again).

best,
Walker

Thanks Walker .