3880 Piezo cart mystery issue

Mystery issue. I’ve been using Piezography (the original Selenium) for at least a decade, likely more. I have two 3880s; one is full of PFlush, and is just an emergency backup, and the other I use for prints. In fact, yesterday I ran off 6 prints, without problems. This morning, I decided to check the ink levels and most carts were about 50% full. I decided to top them off, as I have done dozens of times before. This time, however when I closed the cover, I got the missing carts notice on the screen. The first few times, it reported that there were no carts installed at all. So I wiggled, pressed, and so on, and eventually it came up showing the MK as the only missing cart. In the past these symptoms have always meant that a cart was not fully seated, and was solvable with a bit of tape on the catch or on the bottom. I tried that, and no luck. No matter what I tried that I’ve learned over the years, the printer refused to acknowledge the MK cart in slot one.

Then I realised that I could try the PiezoFlush MK cart from the stored printer, so I pulled it and stuck it in the malfunctioning printer. The cart was recognized as were all the carts. Next, I took the apparently malfunctioning cart, full of ink, and stuck it into the storage printer… only to discover that it was recognized without any trouble!

So, from this it seems that both the MK carts were not the issue. Neither are the contact pins inside either printer’s #1 slot, (because if the pins were the problem, then the PiezoFlush cart would not have been recognized when I swapped it into the main printer.)

So, here I am. I have two #1 (MK) slot carts. They both work fine in the Storage printer, but only one of them works in the main printer.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but this has me at a total loss.

The best I can gather from these tests is that there is something wrong with the main printer itself, but I have no idea what it could be.

Does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps have seen this before?

Thanks!

1 Like

We’ve had a few customers recently very gingerly and carefully so as not to bend or break them - clean their chip readers with a swab or qtip dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

You might give it a try…

If not that - you may be dealing with reducing amounts of fitment as the carts age or the printer ages. They are very high-grade PP but…time can distort them.

Kind regards,

Jon

1 Like

Fitment was it! Thanks, Jon. I keep spare carts around, and that was all it took. (Well, besides the 60 mils of UDH matte ink I put in this morning…but that’s a small priced compared to now having a working PZ printer. )

Thank you.

1 Like