3880 Ink Switch LockOut

Hello All,

I’ve been successfully running Piezography inks in a 3880 with a broken black ink switching system. However, I must NEVER run the black ink switch, because it will create a leaky mess I may not be able to re-seal. Does anyone know of a way to lock out the ink switch system without running afoul of 6-month, automatic maintenance switching (faq-189276 | SPT_SP3880SW | Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Signature Worthy Edition | Epson Stylus Pro Series | Professional Imaging Printers | Printers | Support | Epson US) or any other system functions?

Wishfully thinking, is it possible that the “always full” Piezography chips of the refillable cartridges have disabled the 6-month maintenance function?

I’ve disconnected the power wires from the motor that dives the switching cam so even if the system sends a switch signal, the cam position can’t be changed to cause a leak. However, I kept connected the wires to the sensor, presumably a reed switch, that indicates via cam position “Photo Black” vs. “Matte Black”. It remains to be seen if this state of affairs will confuse and possibly disable the entire system if the 6-month clock kicks in.

Please advise. Thank you.

Trying to clean the seals may be your best choice. Next is to keep an eye out for a broken 3880 for parts.

Just use Piezo-Flush where ever he calls for Windex/isopropyl.

thanks… at present I have an “if it works, don’t fix it” situation, and I have reasons to expect it to keep working as long as no switching occurs … unfortunately, I can’t know if pulling the power lead from the switching motor won’t result in some other problem when the switching clock comes up at it’s next six month interval … if the system needs to electrically sense a switching even if a mechanical switching does not occur, I may try to operate the reed switch manually (those leads are still connected)