129STEP PiezoDN Linearization Smoother Tool

Please zip your tool that is not working and upload here. I will download and debug.

cheers,

Walker

It’s a pretty small file, but the zipped file is attached.

Robert

129STEP_PIEZODN_CGATS_SMOOTHER_RJM.xlsb.zip (95.3 KB)

Your RJM smoother has a problem in it (which is why I asked you to re-install and use the original smoother).

Because of your original copy/paste into the CGATS section of this tool, the formulas in the CGATS section are corrupted.

The formulas have been changed from =OFFSET(CURVE!J4,0,CURVE!$I$4) to =OFFSET(CGATS!J4,0,CURVE!$I$4) etc . . .

so, again, please use the original smoother (re install PiezoDN if you have to get it) and simply paste your data using Control/right-click>Paste Special>Text into the CURVE sheet for this to work. It requires excel.

I have attached the smoothed data and a screenshot.[attachment file=29149]

best,

Walker

Screen-Shot-2018-01-09-at-4.37.35-PM.png

Smoothed.txt (4.4 KB)

As I mentioned in my post that had the file, I did reinstall the DN package. Then, I pasted the data into the Smoother file AFTER the reinstall. Also, you mention, “it requires excel”… which of course is what I’ve been using.

Now what?

Sorry - I’ve got multiple conversations going on and a nasty cold. Looks like Walker solved that quickly. I tried using Numbers with this when I started too since it was what I had. Not worth the hassle - Use Excel! Microsoft may not be good for much, but Excel rocks.

In looking again at the picture of your target print I notice something else that may or may not be a problem. It’s more visible at the light end but looking closely I see more density in the middle of the rows. This is opposite of a weird thing that happens on the 3880 (which seems to be limited to that model) where there is slightly less ink at the end of a line than there should be, resulting in a target print that is slightly darker towards the edges. Walker thinks this is a pressure issue, but I don’t see any problem in real prints so it is not of real concern. Yours, if it is real and not an artifact of lighting when you photographed it or something like that, could be an exposure light issue where you have a hot spot.

Did I mention that Walker is a genius!

Your quote: “…yours, if it is real and not an artifact of lighting when you photographed it or something like that…”. I’m not clear on the comment, “…when you photographed it…” as this is a Pd print of a Target taken from the PiezoDN folders and DN printed on my 1430. As for the potential “hot spot” thought… I don’t know how to verify that. And on the “pressure” issue… should I be doing anything about that?

Also, as I mentioned to Walker, I reinstalled the PiezoDN package as directed, and the Smoother tool still appears not to be functioning properly. Not sure what to do now.

Sorry about my lousy descriptions, I’ll come back to that.

First things first, re-download the PiezoDN package from this website and reinstall from scratch. You won’t lose anything you’ve done already. Somehow the Excel file got corrupted.

As I mentioned now several times, I did reinstall the Piezo DN Package after Walker told me (the second time) to do it earlier this afternoon. Apparently, installing it over the old version is not solving the problem.

Never mind the other part of my comment. It applies only to the 3880, and what I thought I saw appears to be an illusion. I opened your image in Ps and the eyedropper K values flatten out a bit in places but don’t reverse in the way I was trying to describe. So it’s nothing. My mistake.

Robert - Are you sure you don’t have multiple copies of 129STEP_PIEZODN_CGATS_SMOOTHER.xlsb, and that you are actually opening the newly installed copy?

To be sure about this:

1. I deleted the contents of the Tools folder that has the smoother files.

2. I then deleted my trash

3. I did a search on my HD to see if there was another file anywhere with the name “129step” and there wasn’t.

4. I then reinstalled the PiezoDN package - again for the 4th time

5. and I then pasted the txt values into the Curve tab in the Excel Smoother file. The CGATS tab is STILL not being populated. When I do this in the Numbers file, the data is in fact populated into the CGATS tab, but the numbers are exactly the same as in the Curve tab. The excel file is not working properly.

[attachment file=29168]

The smoother tool you uploaded to this thread is most definitely not the original smoother tool. It has a different name at the end (RJM) and also has a different color of background on the header (purple instead of blue). Looking through some of the metadata it looks like it was used with a different application.

Again, this tool requires excel to function properly. Are you using excel?

best,

Walker

The only reason it has RJM at the end is because you asked for a zipped copy of the file and when I saved it I saved a copy with my initials at the end so as to not save over the original. I deleted it immediately after saving it.

I don’t know about the color issue, as it is most definitely the tool from the PiezoDN Tools folder

As I said multiple times, yes, I’m using Excel.

As I noted, I deleted all versions of the 129step files from my computer then REINSTALLED the DN package and it gave me totally new files. I’m definitely using the newly installed files.

Just to check if maybe something had changed in the download since I last updated (it hasn’t), I downloaded and reinstalled PiezoDN v2.3 for Mac. The Smoother works fine. From what Walker noted above, it looks like you somehow saved a copy, maybe without realizing it, and that is what you are still using. What version of Excel are you using?

Use this and let me know. This is the direct XSLB file.

[attachment file=29175]

If you possibly copying and pasting “formulas” instead of text, right-click, go to Paste Special, and then Text.

best,

Walker

129STEP_PIEZODN_CGATS_SMOOTHER.xlsb.zip (91.3 KB)

2008, while old, has worked reasonably OK except for the resolution issue on a brand new iMac with retina display.

Yes, yes, as I said, I am only pasting text: paste special/text

PiezoDN requires Excel 2011 or newer though. It has always.

[attachment file=29180]

Well, now that’s a problem. $99/year for excel for only this purpose seems kinda steep. Can’t I just use Numbers as the spec says?