NA2 or palladium?

I just bought a SC P600 that I am going to convert to the PiezoDN system. In the past with other printers and standard inks I have used the platinum/palladium NA2 emulsions from Bostick and Sullivan to get usable prints. My question is should I continue to use NA2 mixes for the Piezo DN or should I go back to palladium mixes that I was using with analog negatives? Which is better for the PiezoDN system or does it not matter? I was thinking that the NA2 might introduce too much contrast for this system and shorten the tonal range. Also, is the P2 Selenium tone set of inks best if I am only using the printer for digital negatives?

This is the best inkjet for PiezoDN yes.

NA2 is traditionally used when printing with thing negs. So because PiezoDN is the contrast control and because the spectral highlight (densest) parts of the neg is way darker than normal negs, technically you don’t need it. However, NA2 has a different use: it restrains the coating and keeps chemical fog from appearing. I suggest using a tiny tiny amount (1 drop of 2.5% NA2 per 40 drops of total solution) to act as a restrainer. But always know that PiezoDN is now your contrast control.

best regards,
Walker

Thanks Walker, so the PiezoDN should work great with a traditional palladium mix with a touch of fog controlling solution #2 with potassium chlorate?

Yep. That will work great.

best,
Walker

Walker,

Do you have a resource you can point me to regarding the use of Na2 to help eliminate chemical fog and not as a contract control agent? I have been using Na2 in tiny quantities (e.g. when printing the 129Spyder chart on Revere Platinum I use 850ul each Pd + FOx, 85ul T20/10%, and 43ul 1.25% Na2). I’ve never had problems with fogging (I am also meticulous in my clearing working) but have been curious, specifically, about testing Na2 for use in helping prevent chemical fogging; as opposed to its traditional use as a contrast agent with film negatives.

thank you.
Michael

I believe @jkschreiber has talked about this quit a lot on this forum.

I think you are using the correct amount though.

-W