Interleave preferences?

I’ve been using acid free glassine for years now, no particular problems. But since I’m rethinking everything these days, I’m curious what others are using and thoughts. Glassine is very slick, a good thing, it slides across the surface without any damage, However one printmaker pointed out how easily it kinks, which creates a little ridge that can mar these delicate surfaces. They were using a very thin vinyl material, but I don’t trust the potential outgassing. Not piezo specific but pretty much the only forum I trust any more.
Thanks, Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Hope all is well and you had a lovely summer.

I’m still using what you use after all these years. I used to look for alternatives and like you don’t trust any petroleum products, no matter what people might say.

I order my glassine rolls from Ulne, here in Atlanta. I also ship everything in their great heavy duty 4" tubes.

I roll my prints covered with the full covering of glassine on the paper cores I save from paper rolls.

Here is the glassine. I order the 48" x 300 foot rolls.

John

Hi John, been too long we should catch up soon. Actually I’m pretty sure what these other nameless guys were using was a tyvek material, definitely smooth, but I just stuck with glassine. what I’ve used all this time is actually Canson, acid free, which I can get or order from most art supply retailers. Tubes I’ve gotten from Yazoo, suggested by Jon years ago. I’ve decided to bid Uline farewell for my own reasons inappropriate for the forum. Thankfully I don’t have to package and ship orders any more.Anyway, good to know you are sticking to glassine as well, probably too OCD to constantly re-consider every little thing.

Talk soon.

Yea, I’ve been using the same materials forever, keep restoring printers , maintaining old pcs for scanning , etc.

I use the Canson glassine too, it just costs me more. I’m primarily talking about prints larger than 20x30. For smaller things, I give clients prints in the clear bags backed by acid free foamcor that I buy in bulk. But that’s not permanent storage. It keeps people from wrecking work before they get it home, or they can deliver clean to their client.

For my recent personal work I’m doing like 13x44 panoramas, or 20 x 80” that have a lot of black sometimes so the glassine is cheap and great, but it can get screwed up fairly easily, …more for storage and flattening. For portfolios I’ll use some smooth acid free drawing paper like Canson. It ain’t cheap as you know but stays intact for a very long time. I’ve always done that. Like that portfolio we did, all the glassine is wrinkled after a couple of viewings, and the ones with rag paper are the same. Too many things to think about, but I hate scratched prints on fine papers.

We get our glassine 60" rolls from Gaylord. I started to when I was working at Light Work and Gaylord was a 5 min drive away by the Syracuse airport.

best
-Walker

2 Likes

Hi Tyler, John, and Walker. I’m sure y’all have seen this, but sharing the link in case. I’ve used some of the smaller sheets for interleaving silver and platinum prints and it worked well, not sure if larger sheets would kink less than glassine. Also, thank you for everything y’all share and post, I always learn so much.
All best,
Sean.

https://www.archivalmethods.com/product/archival-thin-paper-45-gsm

1 Like

Hey hey! This is good stuff.

Maybe we should start a thread of references for all the non-printing materials. What is the current fav(s) materials and suppliers. I’ll kick that off in a bit.

1 Like