ICC fails to show up in Print Tool

I seem to have successfully created several .quads which all produce much improved negatives and prints. I have made one ICC profile, named it and placed it in Applications_PiezoDN_ICCs_PiezoDN. It shows up in the folder. Have looked at it in Color Sync App and it looks right, Get Info has correct permissions. Also, restarted Print Tool, computer, uninstalled/reinstalled PiezoDN and Print Tool. Still nada under Print Tool. No problem see all other P-DN ICCs. ICC attached below. Something tells me this will be a flat head moment. Running P-DN v 1.5

Oh yes, I am ready to print!

.txt version of ICC. ICC not valid format to attach. Boo.

1430_PiezoDN_Pt80Pd20_AmCit_ArchesPlatine-copy.txt (6.5 KB)

The ICC starts with QTR

It’s in the QTR sub-menu.

best,

Walker

Following your reply, here is what I did which leads into the weeds…

Opened QTR-Create-ICC.app, Open_original .txt file, created new ICC which appeared in Applications_PiezoDN_ICCs_PiezoDN_1430.

Opened Print Tool, new file appears near bottom but not under 1430 sub-menu.

So… I should rename original .txt file as desired before performing <span style=“line-height: 1.5;”>QTR-Create-ICC.app, Open_original .txt file? Plus if I want to share on multiple computers in y studio I need to share the original (renamed) .txt file and run the process on each computer?</span>

Hey Don,

I just did the same thing with the 3880 w/ K7 Carbon inks that I’m setting up and calibrating/profiling this week. Did the same with a 1430 a couple months ago, but forgot what to expect. A couple things to keep in mind with the Create-ICC applet:

1. Your new icc profile will not be where you expect it, and apparently we have no control over this.
  2. You will find it in the QTR_ section of the last group in the Select ICC dropdown list, not under the printer name which seems to be reserved for IJM-made profiles. This folder also contains QTR_Gray_Matte_Paper and QTR_Gray_Photo_Paper. (I tried to take a screenshot of the dropdown list but it closes when I switch to Preview or Grab.)
  3. Create-ICC uses the name of the text file to name the icc, so you must rename the text file before creating the icc. Renaming afterward has no effect, so the system must be using some name internal to the icc rather than it's filename. Maybe there is some way to change the internal name, but I don't know it.
  4. I think once you've created the new icc on one computer you can just copy it to the relevant folder on the others, rather than having to copy the text file and run Create-ICC on each machine.
  5. It seems the system finds every icc that is on the computer, no matter if they are in the Library>ColorSync folder or not. If there is a way to hide some of them I'd love to know the secret.
I'm sure Walker will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. ;)

Very strange that it would crash PrintTool. There seems to be a ghost in your machine.

A weird thing happened to me yesterday. When printing the second step of my calibration process, the first linearized curve, the printer seemed to print no Shade 1 black. Nozzle check was fine, as was an all channel purge page printed in Calibration mode. Tried again, still no black. I was experimenting with taping these 2 little flaps that come down when the front feed tray is open in the up position since it is possible for the film to catch on them if it curls up too much, so I removed the tape and let them back down. Tried again, still no black. Closed and reopened PrintTool. Tried again, black is back.

Obviously you’ve done that, but have you tried restarting the computer? Who knows!

More weirdness! Walker told me a while back to just trash the -out.txt files, and that’s what I’ve been doing without issue. But I haven’t tried copying a self-made profile to another computer. Still doesn’t make sense. Why would these profiles be different than others in that respect?

One thing I noticed recently that might be of interest is the Flip horizontally function in PrintTool. Not the Negative - Invert & Flip selection on the main PT settings dialog, but the check box on the Layout tab of the Print dialog, right beneath Reverse page orientation. You can check the box and save it as part of a preset. This means it is not necessary to flip the file in Photoshop. Not sure why I’d never noticed this before, maybe it was added recently, but to me it is a big deal. I waste lots of film because I forgot to flip in Ps. I’ve been using it all week and it really works. I did download and reinstall the latest QTR and PT versions before installing the new 3880. Thought I was up to date before but maybe not.

Needing the out.txt file makes no sense to me but it worked. It could be that correlation v collation thing and something else I did had already fixed my issue. But when it comes to Is and Os having a little ritual humanizes the process. Yes, big deal to have preset that takes care of the “easy to overlook” things like flip horizontal.

<span style=“color: #3f3f3f; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px; line-height: 26px;”>You will find it in the QTR_ section of the last group in the Select ICC dropdown list, not under the printer name which seems to be reserved for IJM-made profiles. This folder also contains QTR_Gray_Matte_Paper and QTR_Gray_Photo_Paper.</span>

<span style=“line-height: 1.5;”>I have already found it in both the dropdown under QTR and in Library_ColorSync_Profiles but there is something it doesn’t like.</span>

I think once you’ve created the new icc on one computer you can just copy it to the relevant folder on the others, rather than having to copy the text file and run Create-ICC on each machine.

<p class=“p1”><span class=“s1”> I tried that and Print Toll crashed. To recover Print Tool I had to track down every remnant of the ICC process and delete it from that computer. Getting ready to try it again, but slightly differently.</span></p>
<p class=“p1”>It seems the system finds every icc that is on the computer, no matter if they are in the Library>ColorSync folder or not. If there is a way to hide some of them I’d love to know the secret.</p>
<p class=“p1”> <span style=“line-height: 1.5;”>Then again I have the hiding function and can’t figure out how or why it does it! I will trade you.</span></p>
<p class=“p1”>Thanks Keith - stop in when you are down in the big city.</p>

I now understand a bit more than I did, or at least that’s what I think at the moment. When you place your new ICC profile in ICCs folder you also have to take the -out.txt file with it. That also allowed me to transport the new ICC profile to another computer and have it show up properly. I suspect there are OS and software version nuances to be discovered. I am on OS 10.11.6 and had to buy a new Microsoft Office licence so now I am on Office 2016. This could be driving some of the differences between my workflow and the manual.

Currently printing a large ish negative. will wait to judge how it printed. First impression is it is very dark. But it has just begun. As it turns out Print Tools 13x19 Super B is smaller in print area than 13x19 canvas size in PS so it starts and ends with a thin black line.

The >Applications>Piezography>ICCs>PiezoDN folder is actually symlinked inside of >Library>ColorSync>Profiles> when you install PiezoDN. So that means anything you place inside of >Applications>Piezography>ICCs>PiezoDN gets automatically installed into the system. That means if you simply drag and drop the Piezography folder into a new computer (without installing from the package) and you then add a profile to >Applications>Piezography>ICCs>PiezoDN it will not be installed into the system.

You must download and install PiezoDN on each computer for everything to be all hunky-dory.

//

If you double click the profiles and open it in colorsync utility, you can go to the second metadata tap (Localized Strings) and there you can change the name from QTR_… to something of your choosing. This is called an “internal name” and is what Print-Tool and Photoshop see.

//

best,

Walker